Help Others Before Asking for Help
- Export your List of Connections from LinkedIn Using the addressBookExport tool – http://www.linkedin.com/addressBookExport
- Create a spreadsheet using the names and emails from the exported LinkedIn data to segment and prioritize your Connections based on the depth of the relationship and the relevance.
- Send an email saying something like: “Hi [name], I realized recently that I’ve got a few pages on my personal blog where I’d love to share great works from my friends. Sadly, these are quite sparse right now. Is there anything that you’d like me to help promote of yours – either via a link on my blog, or a tweet/Facebook share/Google+ share/etc? Just let me know and I’d be happy to help out.”
- Set the message to Boomerang in 1 week to ensure that you follow up with your friend.
- Once you’ve shared or linked to your friend or colleague’s content, follow up to let them know. Keep track of those you have helped out in your spreadsheet.
- Upon launch of your new piece of content, follow up with this list of people requesting that they return the favor.