If you want to brush up on your content, search, and social media marketing skills in 2013 while networking with the colleagues and experts in the industry, then you will likely want to attend an online marketing conference. The following are the most notable conferences for online marketers and anyone wanting to learn long-term strategies to gain exposure for their businesses.
Online Marketing Summit connects marketers with knowledge, experts, and technologies for three days covering topics including analytics, content marketing, email marketing, mobile, search marketing, social media marketing, and other strategies for digital marketing and business. This year’s expo is February 11 – 13, 2013 in San Diego, CA.
SXSW Interactive offers five days of presentations from experts in emerging technologies. Topics range from career, entrepreneurship, social media, design, content, programming, and much more. SXSW Interactive is March 8 – 12, 2013 in Austin, TX.
Search Media Expo by Third Door Media (the company behind Search Engine Land and marketing Land) is the world’s leading search engine marketing conference. In 2013, they are holding ten events worldwide covering a wide range of topics including SEO, paid search, social media marketing, local search, mobile search, landing page optimization, conversion optimization, and much more. The following are the dates and locations of this year’s expos.
- March 11 – 13, 2013 in San Jose, CA
- March 20 – 21, 2013 in Toronto, Canada
- April 3 – 4, 2013 in Sydney, Australia
- April 9 – 10, 2013 in Munich, Germany
- May 15 – 16, 2013 in London, England
- June 6 – 7, 2013 in Paris, France
- June 11 – 12, 2013 in Seattle, WA
- October 1 – 3, 2013 in New York, NY
- October 14 – 15, 2013 in Stockholm, Sweden
- November 20 – 21, 2013 in Las Vegas, NV
Each expo covers specific topics – be sure to visit the main SMX site for more details about registration cost, speakers, agendas, and sponsorship.
Social Media Marketing World
Social Media Marketing World by Social Media Examiner is designed to inspire and empower marketers with the best trends, concepts, and strategies in social media marketing. Unlike some conferences, Social Media Marketing World promises pitch free content in all 49 expert led sessions. This year’s event is April 7 – 9, 2013 in San Diego, CA.
Social Fresh East 2013
Social Fresh prides itself in being the social media conference you have always hoped for. Social media experts from major brands including JetBlue, ESPN, and Campbell’s Soup are on the agenda. This year’s East Coast event is April 18 – 19, 2013 in Tampa Bay, FL.
Pubcon is the premier search optimization and social media marketing conference and expo. The week-long conferences will offer businesses new ideas and solutions when it comes to social media, Internet marketing, search engines, and online advertising. This year’s events are April 22 – 25, 2013 in New Orleans, LA and October 21 – 25, 2013 in Las Vegas, NV.
Mozcon by SEOmoz promises amazing content, actionable tips, and deep insights from industry leaders. Topics include analytics, conversion rate optimization, content marketing, search engine optimization, and social media. This year’s event is July 8 – 10, 2013 in Seattle, WA.
Content Marketing World
Content Marketing World is the largest gathering of content marketing and PR professionals. The goal is to send every attendee home with the materials they need to implement a successful content strategy for their business, no matter how larger or small. This year’s conference is September 9 – 12, 2013 in Cleveland, OH.
BOLO (Be On the Look Out) is a cozy digital marketing event for marketers and agencies. Unlike some of the larger conferences, this one only allows for 250 attendees to register, creating a better setting for interaction and networking. This year’s event is October 13 – 15, 2013 in Scottsdale, AZ.
Marketing Festival is one of the biggest online marketing conferences in all of Europe. With more than 1000 attendees and 22 world-class speakers from around the globe, including iAcquire’s own Mike King, you’ll be sure to live up to the conference’s promise of broadening your horizons to get ahead of the game. This year’s conference takes place November 22 – 23, 2013 in the Czech Republic.
How to Get the Most Out of a Conference
No matter which events you choose this year, be sure to get the most out of them by doing the following.
- Don’t forget your business cards. It’s always better to have too many than too few.
- Plan your sessions before you go. Things get hectic once a conference begins. Anything you can plan ahead of time will allow you to be in the moment without fretting over the schedule book when you arrive.
- Get people’s Twitter handles ahead of time. During the sessions, you may want to tweet the speakers. If you’re trying to network with someone, you might want to find them by tweeting. Basically, make sure you have a Twitter handle for anyone you might want to communicate with at the event.
- Don’t depend on the venue’s Internet connection. At some events, it’s sketchy at best. Try not to save any major work tasks for in between sessions.
- Remember to network first. Find out ahead of time if the conference will be offering audio / video from the sessions later. That way you will feel OK about skipping a session in exchange for meeting with friends, colleagues, and potential clients.
What events do you plan on attending this year? Please share in the comments!